Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's In a Name?



Could I really dare to name this New Year?  

I know what He's been teaching me.  About Love and Grace.  


And I know this heart's longing.  For Liberty in Christ.  

Yet, my left brain warns against naming something without first being sure it is fitting.  Even as my right brain reminds me it is good sometimes to take a chance, even to make a mistake.

And His Word exhorts:
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, 
      Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD. 
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, 
      So are My ways higher than your ways, 
      And My thoughts than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55: 8-9
And also: 
“Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?”  Romans 11: 34





While I silently debate the theological wisdom of the naming of a year, I have to laugh as He brings this to mind:
"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."  Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)
Yes, I will dare to name this year.  I might be right.  And I could, as easily, be wrong.  But what's in a name anyway?  This year will be as sweet- right or wrong- because it will be the Lord's purpose that prevails in the end. 

Standing on the edge of this New Year then, I throw my arms open wide, tilt my head to the Son and shout it with abandon- this, the year of my Freedom!


To follow my journey to Freedom, check out this series.


Joining Emily in offering my Imperfect Prose to Him who makes it all smell sweet! 







8 comments:

Unknown said...

PTL!! That is the name of my year as well!! Will be praying for you!

Shelli Bourque said...

Beautiful! I'll be praying that God gives you glorious freedom this year!!

-t- said...

Love it!
i love the naming of the year.
love the name of your year!

and this:

Standing on the edge of this New Year then, I throw my arms open wide, tilt my head to the Son and shout it with abandon- this, the year of my Freedom!

:)

Anonymous said...

Praying for you Natalie...FREEDOM...great name!

Brian Miller said...

oh yeah...i feel a braveheart moment...hopes that you find just that...

Courtney Walsh said...

What a great word to stand on. I've been searching for mine but still haven't settled... glad you found yours!! :)

Natalie said...

@ Brian, I've never seen Braveheart but know enough about it to smile wide and embrace my Braveheart moment! (And laugh out loud, when I substitute myself in Mel's place in the battle scene!)

Mommy Emily said...

oh natalie, good for you. this is so humble and praiseworthy. you've found his heart. all that really matters is whose name we live life in... beautiful reminder. (ps. you must see braveheart! :) my hubby's fave movie)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails