Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Walking Through Brokenness

This is the fourth post in a series I'm writing about what I gleaned from Beth Moore's Breaking Free Bible study.  If you'd like to read this series from the beginning, click here.  Or here is a list of the first three posts in order:  
The first two posts give some more background information on my story and the tools I am using to have victory, so be sure to check them out if you are new to this series.  The rest of this post might not make much sense without the context from the others.  

The next category of lies that God revealed to me through this study have to do with having a sound mind, walking through brokenness and worry.  Here's how these lies sound in my head when anger builds.  
  • I'm going to lose my mind
  • Our family is falling apart
  • This family would be better off without me
  • It'll never get better
  • If it is this bad now, how much worse will it get
An honest look at these lies revealed the following:
  • I am not trusting that God has given me the mind of Christ
  • I am not trusting that He has appointed this family for this time and holds us together
  • I am worrying about the future when today has enough trouble of it's own
  • I am not believing that I am no longer a slave to sin
  • I am not recognizing how God will use my brokenness for my good and His glory
  • I am not trusting in His comfort
Here's what the Word has to say about my lies (for the sake of brevity, I'll list only the references here):
  • 2 Timothy 1: 7
  • Colossians 1:17
  • Matthew 6: 34
  • Zechariah 4: 6
  • 1 Thessalonians 5: 17
  • Romans 6: 14
  • Isaiah 61: 1
  • Psalm 51: 17
  • 2 Corinthians 7: 11
  • Psalm 34: 18
  • 2 Corinthians 4: 8-9
  • 1 Corinthians 2: 16
    Again, as I mentioned at the beginning of  this series, I have been praying these verses, asking God to write them on my heart, to make them my automatic thoughts when I feel angry.  Recently, I've spent less time on the verses as I'm reading the Bible in 90 Days, which is all consuming some days.  Already, I see an ill effect from this lack of focus on these scriptures.  I am early in this journey to freedom and if I want a transformed life and renewed mind, I'm going to have to dedicate time to the process.  So I have decided to go back to praying and meditating on the verses during my Quiet Time each morning again and save the Bible in 90 Days reading for later in the afternoon or after the kids' bedtimes.  

    Please share how God has carried you through moments of pressure, depression, brokenness, despair and let's encourage on another!


    This is the fourth post in a series of posts.  You can find the first three posts by following the following links:


    And a related post:

    1 comment:

    Eve said...

    I am doing this study right now and it is terrific. Everyone should do it. She needs to repackage it for men. Call herself Dr. Moore or something!

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails