Saturday, July 17, 2010

Praying the Psalms- Psalm 27

Jenny has begun a journey of praying her way through the Psalms that I have decided to join. Each weekend, we will pray through one psalm and post our prayer and/or meditations on that psalm as the Lord leads. Check out her journey and join us in Praying the Psalms.

Psalm 27 

Wow, this psalm is so packed with personal meaning for me, I am not sure where to start or how to focus my meditation and prayer this morning!
"The LORD is my light and my salvation—
       whom shall I fear?
       The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
       of whom shall I be afraid?" Ps 27 :1
The Lord is the stronghold of my life!  Oh, how I want to be able to proclaim this with absoluteness like David!  I have some strongholds in my life that I am praying and working toward victory over.  I long for the day when He has broken those chains and I can declare the Lord is THE stronghold of my life!

"When evil men advance against me
       to devour my flesh,
       when my enemies and my foes attack me,
       they will stumble and fall.

 Though an army besiege me,
       my heart will not fear;
       though war break out against me,
       even then will I be confident."  Ps 27: 2-3
They WILL stumble and fall, my heart WILL NOT fear, even then WILL I be confident.  I have once again immersed myself in a study about Believing God.  Faith is certainly about the WILL, our decision to believe God despite our circumstances.  And when we do place our will, our faith, our hope in Him, He promises to renew our strength.  With renewed strength, I want to live my life with the conviction and confidence David expresses in the two verses above!

"One thing I ask of the LORD,
       this is what I seek:
       that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
       all the days of my life,
       to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
       and to seek him in his temple."  Ps 27: 4
I want my life to be about ONE THING- to dwell in the house of the Lord forever and to gaze upon His beauty!  Not just in Heaven but also while I am here on Earth.  If I can focus in on the Lord and His beauty, on this ONE THING, everything else will fall into its proper place and perspective in my life.  If I can fully trust this ONE THING, I can do all things through Him.  If I will pursue soul satisfaction in just ONE THING, I will be empowered to love and serve those He puts in my path.  Oh, how I want my life to be about ONE THING!

"Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
       be merciful to me and answer me.

 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
       Your face, LORD, I will seek.

 Do not hide your face from me,
       do not turn your servant away in anger;
       you have been my helper.
       Do not reject me or forsake me,
       O God my Savior.

 Though my father and mother forsake me,
       the LORD will receive me.  Teach me your way, O LORD;
       lead me in a straight path
       because of my oppressors." Ps 27: 7-11
I love David's passion, his honest beseeching and faith in the above verses!  I am learning to pray more earnestly and honestly- reminding Him of His promises to me.  It does not come naturally to me- at times, it feels irreverent- but reverence without honestly is not reverence at all, is it?  So, I am pouring my heart out before Him, disappointments and all, so that it will have room for Him to fill with His teaching and love.  


"I am still confident of this:
       I will see the goodness of the LORD
       in the land of the living.

 Wait for the LORD;
       be strong and take heart
       and wait for the LORD." Ps 27: 13-14

Yes, Lord, I am still persuaded, dare I say, confident of this: I will see Your goodness, Your power, Your strength, Your might increase in my life!  I will wait for You, in You.  And I will gaze upon Your beauty as I wait for You to work Your wonders.   And soon, I will declare with David, the Lord is THE stronghold of my life!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails