Thursday, January 28, 2010

Oh, what a day!

So, I realize this post is a departure from the meditations I have been sharing on this here blog. But, I have been feeling like I am coming across as a very serious person here. It seems this place has become a depository for my serious thoughts
and meditations and I do love it! Again, though, I feel as if the part of me that is light and loves to laugh and be quick witted is missing here. So, I will probably be interspersing my "deep thoughts" with silly stories or one liners that make me laugh. I hope you don't mind. That is, if there is anyone out there! If it is just me, then I don't mind, do I? lol

This past Monday was a doozy. When the alarm when off at 6 a.m., I was really tired and decided that instead of hitting snooze, I would reset it for 6:30 a.m. because let's face it, there are times when 9 minutes of snooze just isn't gonna cut it and this was one of those times! I had a very busy week ahead of me (you know the ones where every activity is neatly packaged into a 30 minutes time slot on the calendar?) and did not want to start it out feeling exhausted. I went back off to dreamland and awoke with a start sometime later. When I looked at the alarm, it read 7:22 a.m.!!! I jumped out of bed and woke all the kids (they should be up and at 'em by 7 a.m.) I started rushing around getting dressed and barking at the kids to do the same. That's when my glance fell on the clock on the cable box, which read 6:52 a.m. So, while yes it was later than the 6:30 a.m. I intended to get out of bed, it was 8 minutes early for the kids. I had gipped myself of EIGHT ENTIRE MINUTES OF PEACE AND QUIET!!!

Well, we carried on and made it downstairs in record time. We ate breakfast as normal and just as the kids started their morning chore of emptying the dishwasher, I checked the clock on the stove to make sure we were on time and it read 8:01 a.m.! (We are usually almost out the door by 8 a.m.) "What is going on? I don't get it," I whined and promptly resumed rushing everyone along. We abandoned the dishwasher chore and hurriedly got dressed and out the door. Into the pouring rain and gusty wind- FUN!

After everyone was safely buckled in, I began to back out of the driveway, glancing at the clock to see how late we were and it read 7:57 a.m.! So not only were we three minutes EARLY but I was going to have to do that darn dishwasher myself when I got home- GRR! I listened to the radio before I believed the car clock, but it was right. We got to school so early that many teachers had not even arrived yet- lol
After a few errands, I arrived back home with my 3 year old in tow. I parked her in front of the electronic babysitter so I could shower since I did not have time for that upon waking (can you hear the sarcasm???). Just as I finished getting dressed, the lights flickered and went out. My three year old wailed that she could no longer see Princess Aurora on the TV. I wailed, too, when I realized that a power outage meant no internet access and that my iPhone hadn't charged the night before (even though I had remembered to hook it up to the charger, somehow the charger cord had come out of the wall socket?!?)
So, we had a snack and a nap. (I did lay down for awhile, too. There was nothing else for me to do but clean in the dim light of the dreary day. And that was not going to happen!) We spent the rest of the afternoon at daddy's office so the boys could do their homework with real, live electricity!!! We all headed home around six to find that the house was still dark. We lit candles and grabbed flashlights. The kids loved it! Me? Not so much. Daddy ran around and set up the generator so that there would be light for the bedtime activities. (Our power company said that there would be no power until 11 p.m.)

After we were all set up, I grabbed my stuff and ran out the door to attend my new women's Bible study at church. Just as I was leaving my oldest turned to me with that ominous look that every mother knows and said, "I don't feel so good!" My husband told me to go, he could handle things from there and I did. He called a few minutes later to report that the power had been restored- a mere 30 minutes after he had set up the generator! He also said our boy was ok but resting.

I got home at about 9:30 p.m. to a quiet house. Just as I had settled into bed, my big guy started wailing from his room. It seemed the dreaded Vomitus Maximus had waited for Mommy to get home to proclaim its arrival to our abode. So I did my mommy duties and crawled into bed remembering that old saying attributed to Robert Burns, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray."
Oh, what a day!

2 comments:

Camie said...

Hi! I got your comment on my blog, thank-you so much! I thought I would take a peek at yours and I quite enjoyed this post! (((hugs))) I've had days like this too - lol
Blessings to you!

Camie

Cathy said...

Oh, my! That was a fun read. We all have days like that...unfortunately mine happen very frequently. =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails