Sunday, July 24, 2011

Praying the Psalms- Psalm 79

Jenny is on a journey of praying her way through the Psalms.  I was fortunate enough to join at the start.  Each weekend, we pray through one psalm and post our prayer and/or meditations on that psalm as the Lord leads. Check out her journey and join us in Praying the Psalms.

"Why should the nations say, 
   “Where is their God?” 
Before our eyes, make known among the nations 
   that you avenge the outpoured blood of your servants. 
May the groans of the prisoners come before you; 
   by the strength of your arm 
   preserve those condemned to die."  Psalm 79: 10-11
I just finished reading The Hiding Place.  It was a difficult book to read but not only for the obvious reasons.  It was a difficult book to read for me mainly because of how it challenged my faith at every turn.  How would I have responded when the Gestapo came in the middle of the night and carted us all off to prison?  As I watched my precious, elderly father treated like an animal?  As I watched my sister slowly wither away and die in a Nazi concentration camp?  As I lived for years in conditions that we would not allow animals to experience?  And the questions in my mind continued.    


It's one thing to understand the answers to these questions intellectually.  It's another thing to walk in them, to live them out in suffering, to wait in hope for His deliverance, to trust Him at all times, to thank Him in all circumstances.  I pray that I would respond to the kind of inhumane circumstances the ten Boom family withstood with the same kind of steadfast faith.  I am certain that I would also cry out with the Psalmist for His mercy, His judgement, His vengence to come quickly.  I'm thankful that both responses are acceptable in His sight.


Father, thank You for causing me to see more clearly what it looks like to endure inconceivable suffering with faith and grace.  For challenging my weak faith.  For reminding me how I need to pray now, in times of peace and calm in my life, for a faith that can endure hardship, suffering and pain for in this world we will have these things.  At that same time, Lord, I ask for Your covering over my family and loved ones.  Keep us from unnecessary suffering.  Be close to us in times of distress.  In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails