Sunday, September 26, 2010

Praying the Psalms- Psalm 37

Jenny has begun a journey of praying her way through the Psalms that I have decided to join. Each weekend, we will pray through one psalm and post our prayer and/or meditations on that psalm as the Lord leads. Check out her journey and join us in Praying the Psalms


Psalm 37


I've heard it said that the days are long but the years go by too quickly.  And I nod my head in agreement. 


I've had a week of long days.  I have not refrained from anger or turned from wrath (v. 8) instead I have foolishly given vent to my anger (Proverbs 29: 11).  When each long day was over and sleep had come for my children (sometimes with tears for both them and me), I returned to each one to see peace on their face, to see their chests rise and fall, to touch their cheeks and feel their warm breath.  


I wrestle with myself and the sins that still live on in me.  I wonder when I will finally have victory over this short temper and selfishness of mine.  I wrestle with God, striving to believe His words in verses 23 and 24 when it feels as if I've already fallen on my face.


I confess my sins to a dear sister one morning and she lavishes it on me.  When I tell of my frustration and disgust at myself for still not getting this thing right, she responds with it.  "Grace, girl, grace," she exhorts me.  "Live in it.  Forgive yourself.  His mercy is new every morning."  


And it's enough to keep me pressing onward.  I once again commit my way to Him and trust and wait.
"Commit your way to the LORD;
       trust in him and he will do this:

 He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
       the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;"  Ps 37: 5-7

5 comments:

Barbara Schoeneberger said...

This is the Psalm from which Mendelssohn's great aria from "Elijah" comes: O rest in the Lord, wait patiently for Him.

One thing I've found, I ask God for the grace to overcome a particular fault or tendency to sin and He gives it to me. It might take awhile, but asking for the grace makes all the difference to me as to whether I am a slave to my tendencies or whether I will eventually overcome them. Ask and ask and ask and it will be given to us.

Jenny said...

What a blessing to have such a good friend.

Natalie said...

Yes, Barbara, thank you!

Natalie said...

She is such a blessing, Jenny!

Natalie said...

Thank you, Colleen! You always have sweet words of encouragement for me :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails