Saturday, June 12, 2010

Praying the Psalms- Psalm 22

Jenny has begun a journey of praying her way through the Psalms that I have decided to join. Each weekend, we will pray through one psalm and post our prayer and/or meditations on that psalm as the Lord leads. Check out her journey and join us in Praying the Psalms.


Psalm 22


All's quiet for a brief moment here.  Boys at baseball and little girl entertained.  I turn the pages to Psalm 22.  By verse 13, I am overcome.  I must stop reading to worship.  I let the words transport me to the place He is now, the place He was before.  It's where I prefer to think of Him.  Magnified, glorified, all powerful.  


I remember that "Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."  My sins are  the reason He went to the cross.  His love is why He endured it.  I am the joy that was set before Him.  I am His inheritance.   


I cannot ignore the cross and its shame.  I must remember Christ and Him crucified.  I return to the Psalm.  I read on through the verses, cringing at the physical pain and emotional humiliation endured...14, 15, 16, 17, 18.  Rejoicing begins in verse 19 when the psalmist remembers the truth, that He is not afar off.  All the wrongs will one day be righted.  


Jesus, help me to fix my eyes on You, the author and perfecter of my faith.  Empower me, for the joy set before me, to endure my crosses.  In Your name, amen.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails