Monday, September 26, 2011

Faithful Over a Few Things

His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’   Matthew 25: 21
This Sunday, our dear pastor and his lovely wife and son had some much deserved R & R.  A brother from the fellowship delivered the message on Sunday.  He taught on the Parable of the Talents from Matthew 25.   It was a message I needed to hear.


Ever since we decided to homeschool, I purposed to put aside all my ministry roles outside of the home so that I could focus on homeschooling.  For a season, I decided, I would pour all my gifts into my family and home.  This decision was practical.  It made sense.  The only problem was that it just never felt right.   


As wives and mothers, are our primary callings in the home?  Yes!  However, there are other needs (both within and outside of the Body of Christ) that each one of us may also be called to meet.  I've always been convicted that we can never convince our families and neighbors of God's goodness and love if we never step back from our own (many) responsibilities as wife and mother to show them His love.  I believe in stepping away to minister to others, we not only bless those who are outside our home but those inside it as well.  It reminds our family- especially our children- that there are times when our own desires must be put aside for the needs of others.  


God gave us our gifts to be a blessing.  When we use them, it should not be a burden but a joy.  The servants in this passage were entrusted with a gift from the master.  When he returned to settle accounts with each, he expected that they had been not simply good stewards of the gift, protecting it from destruction.  He expected that each had used the gift to bear fruit.  It was only in those cases that the master  uttered the words we all long to hear: "Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things.  Enter into the joy of your lord."  


I am not a preacher or a prophet.  I'm not an evangelist or a teacher.  I do however have a gift from the Lord.  He has given me the analytical and organizational skills of administration.  I can take what might seem like a dry and daunting task to others and break it into small, manageable parts and bring order to a situation.  I have used my gift as secretary of our church, an event coordinator for our Women's Ministry, to organize rides and other help for a friend in need.  Please know that I am not bringing glory to myself at all- God has entrusted me with this gift of administration and I want to use it to bring glory to Him alone!  


Now that we are homeschooling, do I need to step back from some of these roles to pour my time and energy into this calling?  Yes!  Are there ways that I can still use my gift to bless others outside the home as well?  Yes!  God confirmed this to me in Sunday's message.  There are opportunities to minister with my gift that He is bringing to me.  When I know He is calling me outside the home to use my gift, I must follow.  


I have heard Him already.  It is a little thing He asking.  I want to be faithful over it.  


Linking up to Michelle's Hear it on Sunday, Use it on Monday meme:
  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, Natalie, your words touch my heart...but they touch more than my heart. They remind me that I need to step outside the safety of my box and grasp the opportunities He is giving me to share my gifts. You write, so eloquently, about your gift. Thank you.

peggy aplSEEDS said...

what a wonderful gift you have. i am sure some people are going to be so thankful for your realization. thanks for sharing!

Sportet said...

Visiting from Hear It On Sunday and became a new follower. I think you will be amazed at how God uses your gift even from home. I'll be praying for you in it.

Manifest Blog

Natalie said...

Mary, and you, sweet friend, have the gift of encouragement for sure! You never fail to have life giving words to leave for me- thank you!

Michelle DeRusha said...

I really relate to this Natalie, and I must return to that parable to re-read it for myself. I, too, feel convicted by a calling that brings me outside my daily calling as a wife and mother.

Andrea said...

great post NAtalie! I admire your thoughtfulness on all of this.

Unknown said...

This is such a great reminder! I am also a home schooler, and have been having similar thoughts. I miss serving with people that don't share my last name. :) Thank you for this post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails