Thursday, June 2, 2011

Praying the Psalms- Psalm 71

Jenny is on a journey of praying her way through the Psalms.  I was fortunate enough to join at the start.  Each weekend, we pray through one psalm and post our prayer and/or meditations on that psalm as the Lord leads. Check out her journey and join us in Praying the Psalms.

Psalm 71  

I was talking with a friend last night who is going through a difficult season emotionally.  I told her I was sorry that she was still in the midst of this trial.  Her reply?  "Don't be sorry!  This is nothing more than the purifying power of pain."  She then proceeded to quote the promises of God that she is counting on at the other end of this trial and to praise Him for who He is. I had meant to encourage her but she instead encouraged me.  She spoke the truth:
"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter,
   you will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth
   you will again bring me up.
You will increase my honor
   and comfort me once again."  Ps 71: 20-21
Lord, when I walk through seasons of pain, troubling and bitter circumstances, help me to remember Your Truth.  You allow these seasons, You even produce the circumstances at times, to refine us.  And You promise to restore and honor and comfort us again.  I want to praise You in and through and after the storms of life.  Trials come and go.  Happiness comes and goes.  But, You.  You, O God, are the one constant in my life.  Give me eyes to see You in every circumstance.  In Jesus' name, amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Natalie!! I so needed to read this today. It touched me in ways you will never know. Thank you for sharing.

Craig said...

Natalie, the praying through the Psalms – a beautiful thing. And the thing is – I think the psalm – it made you pray kind of like a psalm. Your prayer was stunningly beautiful – and so true – and so psalmy. I hearted that. Remember in the dark what God showed you in the light. God bless and keep you and all of yours Natalie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails