Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Praying the Psalms- Psalm 64

Jenny is on a journey of praying her way through the Psalms.  I was fortunate enough to join at the start.  Each weekend, we pray through one psalm and post our prayer and/or meditations on that psalm as the Lord leads. Check out her journey and join us in Praying the Psalms.

Psalm 64  

Making my way through Google Reader today, I came across this post of Melissa's.  And though I had not yet read and meditated on Psalm 64 yet, I was convicted anew of my own careless misuse of words.  
"They sharpen their tongues like swords
   and aim their words like deadly arrows.
They shoot from ambush at the innocent man;
   they shoot at him suddenly, without fear."  Psalm 64: 3-4

When I allow my anger to fester and rise up, I sharpen my tongue like a sword.  My words take aim at the hearts of those most precious to me.  And, when I allow my flesh to quench the Spirit, I fire those deadly arrows and ambush the innocent in my path.  

Only you, O God, can rescue me from this body of death.  Only you can bring freedom for this captive.  I lay it all down before You and ask the strength and self-control that only You can give.  In Jesus' name, amen.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails